Saturday, September 16, 2006

Muslims...

I was talking to one of my mum's co-worker's a few days ago. He had recently come back from Dubai and I asked him how Dubai was. He replied by talking of the slave labor. Then he made a comment which really disturbed me. His comment was: Those Muslims don't know how to treat people.

This really upset me. Firstly, he had no right to generalize that all Muslims are at fault. Perhaps it was a few, but not all. It would have been alright to say "Some people in Dubai don't know how to treat others." Has the media influenced us that much that we've forgotten that we are humans first, and then our ethnicity comes into play. Why don't we discriminate when it comes to other people. For example, when the Pope gave that speech, why did we not say that all Christians were rude? Why is it that if a person does something and is a Muslim, it becomes a big deal, but if someone else does the same thing and they are a non-Muslim, it is brushed off? In the end, it comes to the conclusion that both those people are human. Their background shouldn't matter.
I remember a few years ago, when 9/11 occurred, a non-Muslim murdered someone, they thought he was Muslim. The headlines reported that perhaps it was a terrorist attack. However, when it was proven that he wasn't, the headlines immediately said: Depressed/Suicidal man...
This goes back to one of my previous posts when I said that a terrorist is a person who terrorizes a place/person. A terrorist cannot be defined as a Muslim.
So, I come to my conclusion: Please do not assume that all Muslims are evil. Many of us are just innocent bystanders who are victims of circumstances. The same way some people ruin the image of America, or any other place, we have a few people ruining the image of Islam.

No comments: