Tuesday, December 18, 2007

What is it about a 'thank you' that makes most people feel so warm??
With me, those words make me feel guilty. What I do, or say, are things that are really minor and feel like nothing to me. So when someone thanks me for doing something like that, it makes me wonder if they actually meant it. Guilt as well because I myself barely show my appreciation. I wasn't taught to do it. From a young age, words like thank you, please, and sorry weren't taught to me. They weren't a daily occurance. So when someone says any of the above to me, I feel...small.

Today, two people thanked me for being there for them. Yet when I think about it, I feel like I didn't do anything. It felt like nothing to me. I know that sometimes even the small things might mean a lot to someone, but its difficult to accept that I could do something nice.

Gord. I don't even know how to explain it without feeling like I'm repeating the same things.

Going back to one of the people who thanked me. Her precise words were: Thank you. I was confused and asked what for. Her reply was: "For being there today. Just like you always used to be"
This girl and I have barely spoken for years. And hearing her say something like that, it reminded me of something someone else said to me recently. "I miss who you were. You were the best friend a person could have. Where did that fun Alishah go?"

I'd like to think I haven't changed that much. But I can't be sure about that. I can't remember who I was (like I've mentioned in my earlier posts). Scary isn't it? Forgetting yourself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shit that's fricken scary- I nearly wrote about the same thing (old me vs. new me) without even reading your post first!

Look- people do change, but the soul doesn't- and it attracts other souls which are part and parcel (insert hardcore laughter here re: TUI) of our being (we originate from the same light), some of our personalities click, some don't, some people grow, some for the better, others for the worse- that can start friendships, end friendships, and change friendships- but it's always up to you to decide what you're going to give in a relationship (your friendship, a cold shoulder, a sniff).

You shouldn't feel small when you recieve appreciation, in fact you should be feeling the complete opposite. Knowing that you've helped someone, or made the smile, should make your day- because you (as the person you are today) have made a difference in someones life. You haven't lost anything, you've actually gained- the respect of that person, as well as trust and the ability to be relied up on. Being thanked is an honor- think of it as a verbal badge that reflects the goodness of your heart.

We can't always go back to "who we were" because situations change us, age changes us, experiences change us, and sometimes it's best to just move on. It's almost like Darwin's theory of adaptation, we (our behaviours, attitudes and personality) change to meet a certain criterion of where we are today in order to survive in our environment (for example, you learn from previous friendships of what you may have done wrong, or what wrong was done to you, and make it so it won't happen again- you've adapted...).

I might just be rambling, but the above is the truth- in fact, it even made me realize reality- who knew I had it in me...hmm, miracle of Allah ;-)